Wednesday 12 February 2014

Winter Safety

The company I work for focuses greatly on operational and personal safety and in all parts of the organization we share our personal safety stories. One of my colleagues in Canada shared the following note and I am reproducing it with permission.

I am sure, many of blog visitors are from countries where winter is harsh, so I think this note might be helpful in managing yourself in winter season, especially walking on snow/ice.

Here goes.......

Winter Safety:  This winter in Canada, we have had much more ice than usual on the roads and sidewalks, making it extremely hazardous to walk without falling (and to drive safely, without good snow tires).  See the attached photos of my icy sidewalk (after being treated with salt), along with other effective solutions to reduce the slippery hazards for walking outside:

Sprinkle salt on your sidewalks repeatedly over time, preferably when it warms up a bit.  This reduces and breaks down the ice.  The ice can also then be chipped away and removed more easily.  The first photo shows a product I used – the stores sell such salt products uniquely for this purpose.  The second photo shows the ‘after’ picture some days later.  If you don’t have salt, you can apply dirt and/or fine gravel which will provide traction but not reduce the ice.  One person I heard of used kitty litter, which is also something useful to keep in your car, in case your car gets stuck in the snow and ice:  you can sprinkle the kitty litter under/by the car tire wheel that is slipping, to get traction – handy to have….chains work as well.  However, only salt will reduce the ice, and it seems to disappear with it.  This is preferable than having the other options dragged into the house from people’s shoes and boots.  I’m told the salt will burn your grass when it comes time to grow, so avoid salting your icy lawns! 




For ice:  Wear special grips on your footwear, such as the “ICE Trekkers” that attach to the bottom of your shoe or boot



For snow:  The “YakTrax”  work extremely well. 




Walk like a penguin….  


Was this information useful? let me know,  tell me what do you think. 

I will share another similar note from an office colleague from Norway which talks about how to walk and drive safely in the dark.

No comments: