Thursday 8 August 2013

Hellas Calling - Last Day.

25 - 4 - 1993


Today is the last day of the trip. My flight is at 1:30 am. Plenty of time available to explore more. So, I consulted the city map and found National War Museum which was located within 10 minutes of walking distance from the hotel. I got ready and today for the first time my uncle (with whom I came to Athens) will also join me. He was not with me during the trip as he had to fly onwards to Paris for 2 days. It was good to have him with me today. We chatted all the way to the museum and I told him briefly about my daily activities. 

The Athens War Museum, established on July 18, 1975, is the museum of the Greek Armed Forces. Its purpose is the exhibition of weapon artifacts and the relevant research in the history of war. It covers the history of war in all ages. The museums' collections include the collection of the Greek Army, with artifacts from other civilizations such as Ancient China and Ancient Japan


The museum's centerpieces are weaponry from wars in which Greece was involved.


 
The building has 3 floors. As you enter the museum building you will see aircrafts, cannons, military vehicles and naval equipment on display in the open.  
The inner sections are divided into following periods:

The museum has a lot of military, naval and air warfare history in the form of paintings, photographs, maps and ammunition.


 

We were there for about 2 hours and then headed back. After lunch I started slowly to pack my stuff. In the evening, I did what I love doing most, going out and spend some time on a bench and watch the world around me move about. 

I will leave for the airport at 10:00 pm. 

It has been a wonderful trip. It gave me lot of moments to think about myself as a person. And like all my travels I tried to learn valuable lessons for myself to become a better person. It has strengthened my interest towards art, culture, history and nature. It has broadened my horizon of thought and understanding about people also. I will certainly put to use the learnings from this trip to settle my daily life challenges and continue striving to become a better person.

So, good bye  Hellas, hope to see you again ...... someday!

No comments: